[CentOS] PROBLEM SOLVED -getting JavaRuntime Environmenti nstalledi nto OpenOffice

Sun Mar 9 14:37:41 UTC 2008
Therese Trudeau <mswotr at hotmail.com>

>>> OK, I ran the un install (do not have JDK installed), un install apparently went fine, then I downloaded the jre-6u5-linux-x64-rpm.bin from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp,
>>> Followed these instructions:  http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/jre/install-linux.html#install
>>> then installed it.
>>>
>>> Ran a ls -l /usr/java, below is output:
>>>
>>> total 16
>>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   16 Mar  7 17:28 default -> /usr/java/latest
>>> drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Mar  7 17:28 jre1.6.0_05
>>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   21 Mar  7 17:28 latest -> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_05
>>>
>>> Ran java -version, output is:
>>>
>>> java version "1.6.0_05"
>>> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_05-b13)
>>> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0-b19, mixed mode)
>>>
>>> Tried to find it in the OO Calc Tools>Options dialog box, only Free Software Foundation v 1.4.2
>>>
>>> Maybe I'm not using Tools>Options correctly?
>>
>> I meant to say above - only Free Software Foundation v 1.4.2 shows up in dialog box, the new JRE is not showing.
>
> Is there a specific Java filename I am supposed to be searching for and entering in to the OpenOffice CalcTools>Options dialoge box?
> And or the file path?  Or is Tools>Options supposed to  automatically find the JRE and display it in the dialog box
> for me to select or not select?

Ross Walker was right, there is a problem with the 64 bit version of OpenOffice.  I found out from another list that the
64 bit version of the JRE is definitely not compatible with OpenOffice 2.3.  I Uninstaled the 64 bit version, installed the 32
bit version and all works well.  Also found that if you leave the 64 bit versionn on PC, the 32 bit version won't install correctly.

Thanks to  everyone on List for assistance.