[CentOS] Recommendations for a “real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

Mon Mar 10 00:24:12 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Therese Trudeau wrote:

> So these cards are just plug n play?  Just plug them in, no software or
> drivers required,
> all mirroring is managed by firmware built into the card RAID card itself?

Drivers are required for all storage adapters(RAID or not). 3Ware
handles raid in hardware, not in software, it has a bios which
you'd typically use to configure the array, you can boot off of
the array, etc.

3Ware also offers a management tool for linux (CLI and/or web
based) which allows for monitoring, and controlling the adapter's
configuration settings.

3Ware has had their linux drivers in the kernel for at least...
8 years now? maybe longer. So any linux distro should have no
trouble detecting the card. The latest 9650 cards are pretty
new and use a new driver, which may or may not be supported,
CentOS 5.1 should work with it fine though(support for CentOS 4
was added almost a year ago, I think with v4.5)

They also support hot swap, provided the interface to the disk
supports it(typically a hot swap backplane).

nate