[CentOS] SSH, SCP connections to remote MySQL Database using OpenOffice Possible?

Mon Mar 10 12:12:43 UTC 2008
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 7:50 AM, Therese Trudeau <mswotr at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  I can connect to the remote database via Linux desktop, it's just via an un encrypted connection through port 3306. For obvious reasons I don't want to do it that way.

>  My question is, is OpenOffice Calc able to connect to remote databases via SSH and or SCP? If so, do I need a plug in for that, or need to configure calc to do that in some way? How would I do this, or which plug in(s) do I need?

No, but what you could do is use an ssh tunnel to accomplish this.
Something along the lines of "ssh -L 3307:database.example.net:3306
database.example.net"

This will tell your system to tunnel the local port 3307 through the
database box, TO the database box on port 3306. From this point, after
you connect via ssh with the above command, you can simply point your
database software to the local 3307 port in plain text, and it'll
travel over ssh to the remote box.

I've probably done a bad job explaining this, so I'll go get some more coffee.

George Orwell