[CentOS] Re: Recommendations for a “real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

Mon Mar 10 16:59:43 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 3-9-2008 5:36 PM Therese Trudeau spake the following:
>>> So these cards are just plug n play?  Just plug them in, no software or
>>> drivers required,
>>> all mirroring is managed by firmware built into the card RAID card itself?
>> Drivers are required for all storage adapters(RAID or not). 3Ware
>> handles raid in hardware, not in software, it has a bios which
>> you'd typically use to configure the array, you can boot off of
>> the array, etc.
>>
>> 3Ware also offers a management tool for linux (CLI and/or web
>> based) which allows for monitoring, and controlling the adapter's
>> configuration settings.
>>
>> 3Ware has had their linux drivers in the kernel for at least...
>> 8 years now? maybe longer. So any linux distro should have no
>> trouble detecting the card. The latest 9650 cards are pretty
>> new and use a new driver, which may or may not be supported,
>> CentOS 5.1 should work with it fine though(support for CentOS 4
>> was added almost a year ago, I think with v4.5)
>>
>> They also support hot swap, provided the interface to the disk
>> supports it(typically a hot swap backplane).
>
> Great thanks for that info Nate, I just checked out their web site, looks like the 9500S-4LP would suit my needs
> for a desktop machine.
>
> I've been leary about desktop RAID cards because a few years ago, I bought an adaptec 1210SA RAID card which supposedly does
> RAID 1  I never could get the darn thing to work in my old windows machine and years later found out it is really a fake raid card.  It's been collecting dust ever since
> may as well throw it out.  The drivers it required never worked with W2K.
>
> But the Centos server I use has adaptec SCSI RAID controller in it, I guess on the high end for SCSI RAID, adaptec is known for good raid cards, but the one I bought sure did nothing for me
> for my desktop.

Adaptec makes both true HW raid and re-sells fakeraid cards. I guess they
wanted a piece of both pies. But 3ware only makes HW raid cards AFAIK.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and