[CentOS] 32bit support in 64bit environment (CentOS and Debian)

Tue Mar 11 09:13:23 UTC 2008
Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com>

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 5:05 AM, Daniel <andrzeje at cs.utk.edu> wrote:

>  I was just searching the web for some information on 32bit support in 64bit environment and was able
>  to find couple pages about Debian and CentOS. However, I couldn't find any comparison between them.
>  If anyone knows the differences (e.g. which one is easier to set up and maintain) or could point me
>  out to some useful sites, please help. Or if you think there's no difference, please explain.

Hi,

I don't know how Debian does it. But this is how CentOS does it.
Basically all libraries are available in 32 and 64 bit versions and
the 64 bit kernel used als allows 32 bit code to be executed. So this
means that when the correct libraries are installed any 32 bit
application will just work. Now then there is the yum package
management tool in CentOS. If you install a 32 bit application using
yum, yum will see what 32 bit libraries are needed and install them
together with the application.

So if you use the tools provided by CentOS there is nothing special
that needs to be done. The system will sort it out itself.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Verhoeven - tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com - 0479 / 88 11 83