[CentOS] Question on SATA DVD using centos 5.1

Tue Mar 11 19:06:23 UTC 2008
Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com>

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 7:33 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 5:59 AM, Tim Verhoeven
>  <tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > sdX is used for hard disks (scsi disk). A DVD is not a disk so it is
>  > not listed there. It will probably be defined as sr0.
>  >

>  Interesting - my PATA DVD burners show up as /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd -
>  why would SATA drives not show up in the same fashion?

At least in C5, all SATA support is handle by libata. And libata uses
the SCSI stack to do part of the work. So that is way all SATA devices
will show up as "scsi" devices. And if I'm correct people are working
on porting the older PATA drivers to the libata framework, so they
will also be shown is sdX devices, if I remember correctly Fedora 8
already does this.

Regards,
Tim

--