[CentOS] Colors in vi for user root

Wed Mar 12 14:39:10 UTC 2008
David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org>

Erek Dyskant <erek at blumenthals.com> wrote:

> This was discussed previously soon after CentOS 5.0 was released.  The
> > upstream distribution changed root from using vim (with syntax
> > highlighting) to using vi.  With the 4.X versions root was using vim.
> > The 5.X configuration is:
> >
> > [root at bend ~]# which vi
> > /bin/vi
> >
> > [dave at bend ~]# which vi
> > vi:      aliased to vim
> > [dave at bend ~]# which vim
> > /usr/bin/vim
>
> In theory, programs in /bin are statically linked, so they work even
> when you have library issues going on.  Anyway, just use the vim command
> explicitly or add alias vi=vim to your ~root/.profile
The static linking part is no longer true:

[root at bend ~]# ls -l /bin/vi
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 628808 May  9  2007 /bin/vi
[root at bend ~]# file /bin/vi
/bin/vi: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for
GNU/Linux 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux
2.6.9, stripped

I would guess that any shared libraries used by vi are in or under
/lib.  That way the required libraries should also always be available.

Just for comparison, the executable for vim is quite a bit bigger:

[root at bend ~]# ls -l /usr/bin/vim
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2817056 May  9  2007 /usr/bin/vim

This is just another example of the upstream distribution being very
conservative for possibly several different reasons.  There are also a
number of ways to override their choice.  I just wanted to point out
that the change from vim to vi for root was intentional.  Someone
changing it back should understand the implications of what they're doing.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce