[CentOS] CentOS 5 Evolution Update errors.

Wed Mar 12 16:35:49 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 11:15 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Evo update on my 4.x worked just fine. 5.0 generated a bunch of parsing
> > errors preceded and followed by a couple of I/O errors that appear
> > related to an unavailable URL.
> >
> > I first figured corruption on my node, so I yum erased evo, its -
> > connector and -webcal units. The data-server removal looked as if it
> > might remove half my Gnome desktop, so I left it in place.
> >
> > Then I did a selective reinstall. The edited results follow. I believe
> > the very first error is the cause. I erased and installed multiple
> > times, even trying the connector plugin figuring maybe it was needed to
> > download files from a website. No-go.
> >
> > I was able to wget the docbook w/NP.
> >
> > Any suggestions? Not critical, I only run evo on my 4.X. But I've begun
> > a slow and careful migration to my 5.0, letting it serve as back up for
> > now.
>
> I was just able to install the upgrade on my workstation where I use
> evolution just fine:
>
> <snip>

I just tried again and got the same errors as in my original post. I'll
run a verify on my system and see if something got corrupted. I have
seen two unreadable sectors from smartctl selftest output in a currently
unused portion of one of my HDs. The rpm verify and another smartctl
selftest may provide a clue or two.

I hope no more bad sectors show up. If I see more than just a few I
believe things tend over successive self tests, I tend to have a
pessimistic outlook for the drive.

Thanks,

--
Bill