[CentOS] Overland Arcvault 12 and sequential/random settings

Thu Mar 13 15:00:41 UTC 2008
Scott R. Ehrlich <scott at MIT.EDU>

My unit's firmware: library 05.03, tape d22h, shows the device as set to
random mode. But mtx -f /dev/st0 status gives an error that google says
the device is in sequential mode.  dmesg|grep -i hp does reflect CentOS
thinks the device is a sequential unit.

I've tried this with Fedora 8, too, and both show the same, so it is
either an issue with CentOS/Fedora RPMs, or the version of MTX?

I'm going to try a simple install of Ubuntu next and see if there is any
difference.

Is this a bug with the firmware, or with my setup?

I have rebooted the tape drive and machine several times.

I have the drive connected to an Adaptec 29160.

I have another identical drive on another system, with a library firmware
of d21h, tape firmware 04.04, and that works perfectly with mtx, though it
is connected to a different SCSI card.

Thanks for any help/insights.

Scott