[CentOS] evince on centos5.1

Fri Mar 14 09:36:10 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 07:41 +0100, Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
> >  I use Adobe's acroread. Works very well. But don't get the 8.* series -
> > it's broken in printer interface and is a little bloated do to a not yet
> > really useful voice reader capability.
>
> Broken? How?
>
> I've printed many pages from acroread 8.x

When it first came out with 8.1, it would not print. I use CUPS. Version
7 worked fine for a long time. I tried modifying the print command in
various ways and never got it working. I googled and saw several
complaints about the same problem. Tried the (very) few solutions
suggested. None worked. I can't recall seeing any responses from the
posts that indicated anyone else got it working either. Again, that was
when it first came out.

I don't remember the details of the failure now. IIRC, it was failing to
connect the output from the PDF to the input for the printer, I *think*.
I tend to get disgusted when things like that happen - a new version
that has a failure in such a basic function that has been well defined
and working across many platforms and software packages for years being
broken when an "improved" is released indicates a QC problem in my view.

I uninstalled it, reinstalled 7, changed nothing else and print worked
again.

When 8.2 was released, I pulled it down and looked at the change log. No
mention of a fix. So I didn't even try it. Why waste my time when 7
works just great and does everything I need?

Anyway, it may be working now. I wouldn't know, based on my experience
and the change log.