[CentOS] Backup Question

Sun Mar 16 22:22:48 UTC 2008
Joseph L. Casale <jcasale at ActiveNetwerx.com>

> Rsync directly from the target would be more efficient. I've never been
> able to make this work using cygwin sshd on the windows side to accept
> the connection and run rsync, but that could be a bug that is fixed now.
>   It will work using rsync in daemon mode on the windows side, or
> initiating the connection from windows to a Linux target via ssh.
>
> If you don't want the whole cygwin setup on your machines, there is a
> minimal install for rsync here:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=34854

I can't install cygwin or a daemon for that matter on the Windows Server, but I could execute a scheduled job to run a Widows port of rsync on the file server which I am not opposed to at all. My only problem with that is how do I then trigger the Bacula server to begin the dump to tape once the sync is complete?

> > I need an additional replica of the data, so using the Windows Bacula client
> doesn't help,
>
> I thought bacula could be configured to keep both an on-line and tape copy.

Possible, but I wouldn't have time for it to dump all the data if it simply accessed the CIFS share to copy all the data.

> > and I must be able to only replicate the changes or I'll miss my backup
> window based on the volume of data.
>
> I use backuppc to keep an online and easily accessible history and
> amanda for tapes that go offsite (and I hope to never have to recover
> from the amanda tapes because it is much more difficult) and I just let
> them run independently.  If your backup window is tight, you might have
> to run both (or bacula) against your rsync-mirrored snapshot instead of
> the actual target.  This works well for data files but you'll need some
> extra contortions if you expect to do bare metal restores of the windows
> targets.

Yea, bare metal is handled elsewhere, I just need file level protection. Not sure about Backuppc, it still doesn't help me trigger Bacula as soon as the sync is complete.

Thanks for the help!
jlc