[CentOS] How to prevent installer using disk labels?

Thu Mar 20 01:22:20 UTC 2008

Tony Mountifield wrote:
> Is there any way, when installing CentOS (or any RH-based distro),
> to prevent it from using disk labels in /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf,
> and to force it to just use the actual device names?

I dont think there is any sane way, in either the C4 or C5 installers.
If you do find a way to do that, let me know.

There is presently a conversation going on with the anaconda developers
about dropping labelling completely, but that might be a long time
before we see that in EL / CentOS released distros

> For testing purposes, I am installing two different CentOS versions in
> different partitions, and am having to change from labels to device names
> by hand, and re-label the disks, in order to avoid the boot process getting
> confused between the filesystems.

you could always just change fstab, perhaps a sneaky script in %post of
the kickstart to do the hard work for you ?