[CentOS] build custom kernel

Thu Mar 20 20:46:24 UTC 2008
Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com>

You'll get the huge kernel if you accidentally mark all the modules to be compiled in instead of modularized.

Make sure the modules are marked 'M'.

Why not just take the latest Fedora 8 kernel SRPM and with rpmbuild build it on CentOS?

A lot easier and more reliable then adapting a vanilla kernel.

-Ross

________________________________

	From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of David Hlácik
	Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:39 PM
	To: CentOS mailing list
	Subject: [CentOS] build custom kernel

	Hi guys!

	i followed tutorial for building custom kernel for centos5 http://howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_centos with lastest kernel downloaded from kernel.org .
	in menuconfig i used /boot/config-(mycurrentcentoskernel) as a configuration. then i compiled with make rpm.
	Result was ok, but my kernel was about 400MB of size! :(
	Next problem was that alltought i we had ip_nat as a module selected in menuconfig, i did not had it, and i was not able to modprobe ip_nat , so my iptables were not working.

	I am looking for some help and experiences. Probably in thinks like :
	howto make new kernel for centos to be the most compatible (using /boot/config... probably).

	The reason why i need this is :

	- problem with pptpd on x64 centos 5.1 (causes freezing --- found that it is a kernel bug .. still not fixed in rhel - centos :( )
	- problem with ath_pci (atheros module) which causes masine freezing after hours of use without any footprints in logs , tested that on fedora 8 this works stable :(

	Thanks in advance!

	David