[CentOS] RHEL on The Pirate Bay, Mininova, etc

Sat Mar 22 19:29:54 UTC 2008
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> You can not redistribute the redhat-logos or redhat-artwork binary
> packages to others unless you are selling your media.  You also can
> not distribute those 2 source or binary RPMS without editing and
> removing the logos / trademark related things in them.  Since the ISOs
> in question on the Bittorrent sites distribute those files, they are
> illegal per Red Hat's trademark policies.
>
> Now USING the RHEL discs (not distributing them to others, but
> installing on your own equipment) is a totally different story (and
> much more restrictive).  You may not install any RHEL packages that
> are provided by Red Hat on ANY machines that you have not purchased an
> entitlement for.  That means on test machines, production machines,
> whatever.  No entitlement, no install allowed.  It does not matter
> whether you want "Support" or not.
>
> Red Hat has the right to audit your equipment for up to 1 year after
> your last license expires for compliance.

wow, that goes way beyond what I thought.      Can you point to an
authoritative reference for this?  I'd like to hit some guys over the
head with it at work, they install RHEL4 all over the place without
contracts (or updates), it drives me nuts, I keep saying "USE CENTOS"
and its like 'oh, vendor XYZ says they only support RHEL', and my
arguing that they aren't paying for any support doesn't seem to matter.