[CentOS] RHEL on The Pirate Bay, Mininova, etc

Sun Mar 23 12:09:44 UTC 2008
Daniel de Kok <me at danieldk.org>

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> Daniel de Kok wrote:
>  > On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>  RMS and the FSF has said this is not a restriction on the software..
>  >>  it is a restriction upon you for getting a compilation and update
>  >>  service from Red Hat.
>  >
>  > But once you have retrieved the compiled package through a
>  > subscription, it is governed under the GPL, right? And the GPL does
>  > not allow for such restrictions.
>  >

>  Not at all ...
>
>  You have signed an agreement as to how you will use the software ON YOUR
>  machines as long as you obtain software from RHN without paying Red Hat
>  for each installation.  There is NO RESTRICTION that you may not charge
>  for each copy of GPL software .. it is specifically allowed.

True, but the copy that you retrieved is governed by the GPL, which
gives users certain rights that can not be taken away by additional
contracts (which would void the rights to distribute the software).
The GPL is very explicit about this, and those licensing restrictions
are imposed by the author of the software, and as far as I understand
Red Hat can not modify the licensing terms of others with contracts.
They can only do that for some non-GPL licensed software, and their
own software/artwork.

-- Daniel