[CentOS] Xen or VMWARE on CentOS 5

Mon Mar 24 07:06:16 UTC 2008
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:
>Bill Campbell wrote:
>>On Wed, Feb 27, 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>I just started playing with VMware-server-1.0.5-80187 on a 64-bit
>>CentOS 5 system system, and am having some issues with the hotkey
>>switching.  Running the vmware-server-console via an ssh
>>connection from a PPC Mac Mini, it doesn't recognize the ctrl-alt
>>sequences, which isn't totally surprising as I'm using a PS/2
>>Microsoft Natural keyboard on a KVM switch with a USB->PS/2
>>adapter.  When I try running it directly on the CentOS system's
>>console through the same KVM switch, it doesn't respond either.
>>
>>I have installed SCO Openserver 5.0.6a on a virtual image, and
>>that seems to be working OK (my primary object now with VMware is
>>to have a fall-back when customer's OSR5 system's hardware goes
>>south).  I have had at least one situation where it didn't
>>recognize the CTRL-RightButton sequence in an xterm running on
>>the OSR5 image.
>
>As I mentioned in the post above, I prefer to connect directly to the
>guests once their network is up instead of using the vmware console -
>and especially so for a guest OS that doesn't have a vmware-tools
>package.  I only use the console long enough to create and configure the
>guest systems.

That makes sense, particularly since I didn't understand that the vmware-
tools was something that runs on the guest-os.

So far I have gotten as far as getting the basics configured
including the network interface and have it automatically booting
when the Linux box comes up (although it's currently hanging
waiting for date entry which may require a bit of hackery).

The only way I have found to reliably get mouse and keyboard
focus out of the virtual window is to use ctrl-alt-F1 to switch
to a character mode, then ctrl-alt-F7 to get back to X11.

Tony Lawrence has some useful information for those of use who
are afflicted with maintaining SCO OpenServer systems:

	http://aplawrence.com/OSR5/smithosr5vmware.html

Bill

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it coses
when it's free -- P.J. O'Rourke