[CentOS] Securing SSH

Tue Mar 25 17:23:18 UTC 2008
Tim Alberts <talberts at msiscales.com>

John R Pierce wrote:
> Tim Alberts wrote:
>> So I setup ssh on a server so I could do some work from home and I
>> think the second I opened it every sorry monkey from around the world
>> has been trying every account name imaginable to get into the system.
>
> actually, those 'attempts' are coming from virus infected systems
> which randomly probe for SSH servers.    they try the same sorry 10 or
> 15 accounts with the same lame 10 or 15 passwords, so its really just
> an annoyance if you're anal about logwatch output.

Just a virus you think?  They are some pretty lame account names: judy,
frank, bob..However they are mixed with general linux accounts:  root,
ftp, webmaster, mysql, named, etc.  I feel less worried about that (or
should I)?

Or are you just trying to lull me into a false sense of security?
Muawhahahaha..