[CentOS] Frustration with yum

Tue Mar 25 19:58:56 UTC 2008
John Bowden <j-alan at btconnect.com>

On Monday 24 March 2008 18:59:59 Les Mikesell wrote:
> Sam Drinkard wrote:
> >> One is from the kbs repo, and one is from rpmforge. Mostly, you're
> >> mixing similar packages from different repositories. This is a bad
> >> thing, and the  reason for the existence of priorities, and
> >> protectbase plugins, as well as include/exclude statements on a per
> >> repository basis.
> >
> > Thanks for pointing that out.  I had not even noticed the differences.
> > When I installed clamav and everything, I let yum do it, so I just
> > assumed it would pull in all the right pieces.  I know not to mix
> > repositories, so I'm at a loss how this happened.  I assume now I have
> > to install the correct clamav package and clamav-db?  What would best
> > practices do - remove the earlier version and start over?  It's been
> > quite a while since I did any stuff on the machine, as it just runs and
> > works as it's supposed to do, but I see now I need to start playing
> > catch-up.
>
> I'd make sure all the 3rd party repos are disabled in their
> /etc/yum.repos.d files, do an 'rpm -e ...' of any questionable packages,
> then do a 'yum --enablerepo=reponame install package1 package2...' so
> you can group the specific sets together from the same repo.  That
> doesn't guarantee it will come out right but at least it gives a hint
> about what you want to happen.

I would also back to a separate directory up any configuration files for the
software you are about to re-install especially if they are not default
configuration files. That way you can always compare before and after
settings.
Regards John

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)