[CentOS] new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Wed Mar 26 16:53:00 UTC 2008
Ray Leventhal <centos at swhi.net>

John R Pierce wrote:
> Ray Leventhal wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm fighting with samba on a new CentOS 5.1 install.
>>
>> The goal here is to have unix/linux usernames/passwords used for the
>> samba shares (which i'll setup using webmin, as I find it easy that
>> way).  At present, the home share and one for the company's public
>> share are in place.
>

> # useradd ..... someuser
> # passwd someuser
>    new: ....
>    again: ...
> # smbpasswd -a someuser
>    new: ....
>    again: ....
>
> the smbpasswd step is neccessary, because SMB/CIFS protocol uses a
> different hash than /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow, so samba keeps its own
> smbpasswd file.

Thanks, John

With the help of the fairly slick new webmin (this is a wholly offline
network, so no security issues here), I was able to synchronize the unix
users db with the smbpasswd db so that part's handled.

I managed to mangle my way though the very thorough, if ponderously
long, how-to for configuring a stand-alone server and I think I'm well
on my way :)

Next step is making sure sendmail/dovecot is configured for our little
network.  If nothing else, i'm sure learning a lot today!

Kind regards,
-Ray