[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Wed Mar 26 19:49:57 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 3-26-2008 12:11 PM Ray Leventhal spake the following:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Ray Leventhal wrote:
>>>

>> Normally you have to add the users yourself with their passwords since
>> the encryption is different than the linux passwd file uses and it can
>> only be done when you still have the plaintext.
>> smbpasswd -a login_name
>> But didn't you say you used webmin with this enabled?
> yes, I did and have verified that users are already there and 'the same'
> in webmin terms.
>>
>> If the users are already in a windows domain you can just use security
>> = server and password server = your_domain_controller.
> I am not using a PDC in the network, only clients on WinXP and the Cent
> OS machine.
>>
>> By the way, if you are setting up a new box from scratch just to serve
>> windows users you might like SME server (http://www.contribs.org). It
>> is based on Centos but all administration is through a simple web
>> interface.
>>

> As Cent is already built, I'm inclined to keep it.
>
> Any idea why I can't seem to browse in anything other than 'share' mode?
> The user mode keeps popping up an authentication box for which there
> seems not to be a correct answer...meaning I re-auth, but I keep getting
> the box, with <MACHINE>/ prepended to my username.
>
> Thanks,
> -Ray
DO the user credentials on the windows boxes match the credentials on the
samba box?
Did you turn off simple filesharing on the XP machines?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and