[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Wed Mar 26 21:15:26 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Ray Leventhal wrote:

>> By the way, if you are setting up a new box from scratch just to serve
>> windows users you might like SME server (http://www.contribs.org). It
>> is based on Centos but all administration is through a simple web
>> interface.
>>

> As Cent is already built, I'm inclined to keep it.

SME server takes a few minutes to install - just a few questions about
IP settings, etc. and the rest is adding users in the web interface.
(The down side is if you want it to do something that wasn't planned,
you have to fight the scripted configs - but it will do a lot as-is.).

> Any idea why I can't seem to browse in anything other than 'share' mode?
> The user mode keeps popping up an authentication box for which there
> seems not to be a correct answer...meaning I re-auth, but I keep getting
> the box, with <MACHINE>/ prepended to my username.

The problem is that authentication is failing and you have to
authenticate before you can even see shares in user mode. Is there
anything in /var/log/samba about why authentication is failing?

You had
passdb backend = smbpasswd
but I thought the current default is
passdb backend = tdbsam

I don't know if it matters, though.  I'd expect smbpasswd -a to complain
if it has trouble adding a user.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com