[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Wed Mar 26 21:44:47 UTC 2008
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 21:36:44 Les Mikesell wrote:

> >> If they are logged into a windows domain, they will send the domain
> >> credentials, like it or not - and you really want the windows login to
> >> match the linux name for home directories to work.  If you set
> >> security = server
> >> and
> >> password server = your_domain_controller
> >> (which I think needs to be resolvable in dns after adding your search
> >> domains)
> >> everything should just be transparent.
> >
> > This doesn't really come into it.  99% of the time there are only linux
> > boxes on the LAN.  Samba is necessary for the odd times when a family
> > windows laptop makes a temporary connection.  There's certainly nothing
> > like a windows domain to consider.
>
> Samba could emulate one, but shouldn't have to.  Do all of the windows
> login names match (case included) the linux names,

Yes

> and did you use
> smbpasswd -a to add all users on the samba side after creating their
> linux logins on the current server.

Yes

> I think the password storage format
> changed some time back so if you upgraded or copied the setup from an
> earlier Centos version the old copy might not work with the new configs.

At first I used my old configs, but when I found that there were problems I
deleted everything and started afresh.  Everything on the main server (CentOS
5.1) is using the version of samba and smbpasswd supplied with CentOS 5.1.

As I said, I've used samba for years, so I knew the likely pitfalls re
passwords.

Anne