[CentOS] A few questions regarding CentOS (5.0)

Thu Mar 27 08:13:31 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

Morten Nilsen wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Morten Nilsen wrote:
>>> - Why does the screen flicker on and off several times during boot
>>> and when logging in?
>>
>> mine does not, so cant say what is going on with your setup, perhaps
>> posting some more info about your setup might help make it easier to
>> diagnose.
>
> Isn't much to say, really..
> * ATI Radeon PCI
> * Intel 975 Chipset
>
> The motherboard is an Asus "Wallstreet Quartet"..
>
>>> - When I chose a pure console environment, without any X11 stuff,
>>> why did a bunch of gnome packages get installed?
>>
>> CentOS comes with a package manager, yum. There is a man page for
>> that, and lots of docs online. You can use that to remove anything
>> you dont need.
>
> Yes, I know.. I didn't ask how to remove anything, just why it got
> installed to begin with.. The gnome stuff is long gone on this box.

Some stuff needs some of the Gnome libraries to function properly. I
know Xen also installs 1 or 2 Gnome libs along the way. It might be
worthwhile to check with rpm which Gnome stuff got installed, and which
packages requires them :)

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers