[CentOS] A few questions regarding CentOS (5.0)

Thu Mar 27 14:24:18 UTC 2008
Morten Nilsen <morten at runsafe.no>

On 3/27/2008, "Johnny Hughes" <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>> that time the monitor stayed off.. had to ssh in to resolve it..That may
>> indicate that someting in the sysinit shuts off the monitor at the start
>> of a script, then turns it back on at the end..
>
>Do these options exist in /boot/grub/grub.conf on the "Kernel" line:
>
>quiet rhgb
>
>If so, please remove them if you do not want X on the server.  These 2
>things try (during boot up) to take away the standard startup screen and
>replace it with a Blue background and picture.  This uses X, which could
>cause something if it has been removed and the options are still listed.
>
>Removing those options (if they are there) should fix that issue.

I'll look into it, thanks.

>We do not seem to have php-mssql for CentOS extras as it requires
>freetds and we were concerned about potential patent issues with
>freetds.  However, it seems Fedora is including freetds now in version 8
>and version 9, so I will research this freetds issue again and if we
>think we can safely build and distribute freetds I will get it into our
>extras repo soon. If not, you should be able to easily build it ... but
>I think we will add it, so not to worry.

Good to hear :)
I know I can easily build it, I supplied contrib rpms of freetds for
Trustix a while back, which got adopted into official..
I just asked because I really like getting updates without having to
rebuild php/freetds each time..

>Also ... some rpms do require certain things to be available, and the
>binaries are LINKED against the shared libraries.  So, one can not just
>delete (for example) all xorg-x11 RPMS just because you don't want X. If
>you did use "rpm -e" (with a --force or --nodeps) then it should be OK
>since if a library is necessary, RPM will complain and not do the
>removal unless overridden.

Yes, I am well aware of the dependency thing.. I used to maintain a large
selection of packages in TSL contrib..
I did rpm -e libgnomesomething and added on packages until it stopped
complaining about deps..
As far as X11 goes, I deselected that during install, don't remember
having to remove any of those rpms by hand..

--
Cheers,
Morten