[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Thu Mar 27 17:01:13 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Anne Wilson wrote:

>> It seems like a kludge to use cifs to share between two linux boxes.
>
> Because I would have to do samba anyway, as windows laptops from other family
> members want to access from time to time.  They always bring them to me if
> any configuration work or maintenance needs doing, and even to work on my LAN
> when their network is down for any reason.  In particular, one directory that
> I samba share is a repository that my daughter and I both need access to, and
> its content changes fairly often.  I didn't want to have to run two systems
> for sharing.

You can do both fairly easily and transparently.  The usual reason for
not using NFS is that it isn't secure if client users have local root
access (or can boot something that would) - but that probably doesn't
matter for a home setup.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com