[CentOS] Re: A few questions regarding CentOS (5.0)

Thu Mar 27 20:55:21 UTC 2008
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Alan Bartlett <ajb.stxsl at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > I had previously looked at /etc/issue, which says "release 5 (Final)"..
>
> As I'm sure you're aware from Johnny Hughes recent posting to this list, the contents of /etc/issue will stay that way for the entire life of CentOS 5.
>
> > # rpm -q centos-release
> > centos-release-5-0.0.el5.centos.2
> > centos-release-5-1.0.el5.centos.1
> >
> > hmm, that doesn't look right to me..?
>
> Nor me! I would be tempted to attempt to remove centos-release-5-1.0.el5.centos.1 (rpm -e --test centos-release-5-1.0.el5.centos.1; rpm -e centos-release-5.1.0.el5.centos.1 if the test command was o.k.), then try a yum update.

rpm -e --justdb may be a good way to remove the newer version (only in
the database) and do a yum update.

> It does look as if your rpm dbase is a bit scrambled. Perhaps a rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.??? would be an idea.

Well, if it is suspected that there are more duplicates in the rpm
database, you might want to follow the procedure detailed in this
forum post:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=10139&forum=27

Akemi