[CentOS] Re: A few questions regarding CentOS (5.0)

Thu Mar 27 22:00:28 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 3-27-2008 11:36 AM Johnny Hughes spake the following:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> Robert Nichols wrote:

>>> The upgrade to 5.1 is seamless.  Your actual version (the replacement
>>> for
>>> "$releasever" in the URL in the yum config file) is "5", not "5.0",
>>> which
>>> will always track the latest release.  Sounds like the kernel version
>>> (currently kernel-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5) is not what is causing your
>>> problem.
>>>
>> I have only recently started using CentOS, and have an interesting
>> query on this. If release 5 is always the latest release, does that
>> mean when 5.6 comes out, it will still be v5? And how does the
>> transition for major releases (from 4 to 5, 5 to 6) work?
>>

> Let me relate this to Windows :D
>
> CentOS-5.1 and 5.2 and 5.3 are like XP, XP Service Pack 1, and XP
> Service Pack 2.

Does that mean my systems will crash daily and I will need to buy a new
version and a new computer to put it on every couple of years?

And please don't tell me that CentOS 6 will be like Vista, or I will be going
back to my sliderule! ;-P

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and