[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Thu Mar 27 22:31:56 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 3-27-2008 3:07 PM John spake the following:
> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 14:56 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
>
>>> Anne, I think your directories are not visable because you do not have
>>> "browsable  = yes" in the share setups section??? Try that?
>> If you set browsable to yes, then EVERYBODIES home directories show up.
>> That is not usually what you want. If you want to share everything, just make
>> one share and put everything under it.
>>
> OK so when user mode is used your saying the directory is only viewable
> by the current user logged in and all of them is Viewable by root?
> Correct??
No. Since the admin user should already know who is on the system, you can do
a \\servername\username and get into their shares. But that is another book of
magic. Samba really has a different concept of root, and you have to map into
the admin group in the samba world.

I know the books are long, but you really need to go through the basic
chapters and examples in the samba-3 by example book (on line and free) at
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/index.html

Set up a test system and play with the configs. You can set up a virtual
machine if you don't have extra stuff to play on. I still do it on my laptop
sometimes (I have a fairly beefy laptop with 1.5 gigs of ram, so I can learn
on my time).

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and