[CentOS] OpenGL and CAD Apps

Fri Mar 28 17:35:36 UTC 2008
Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 at 10:05am, Joseph L. Casale wrote

> I am likely going to switch a desktop over from Windows to either CentOS
> or Fedora and run two CAD apps that now have Linux ports. I was
> wondering as I can't seem to find much specific info about the support
> of OpenGL in RH based OS's. Does CentOS support this out of the box or
> do I need to do anything with it?

Both Fedora and CentOS support GL out of the box.  However you do have to
be careful about your grahpics hardware in order to get
hardware-accelerated 3D.  Certain older ATI cards have open-source 3D
support built right into the distro.  For most newer cards, however,
you'll need to use closed-source drivers from ATI or nvidia.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin