[CentOS] how do I run something on a newly installed server, on it's 1st boot only?

Sat Mar 29 09:09:31 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

Michel van Deventer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> you can use the %post part of the kickstart for that, then your script
> will run after installation is complete but before the reboot. If you
> need to run it after the first reboot, I'd put it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> and let it remove itself after running succesfully. And of course copy
> the script to the server using the %post part of kickstart ;)
>
> 	Regards,
>
> 	Michel
>

> On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 09:11 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm busy with a kickstart file to automate server installations, and I
>> need to run a bash script right after the server has been installed for
>> the first time. But the script only needs to run once, and it needs to
>> run automatically. How do I do that?

ok, that's what I'm looking for. I should only run after reboot.
Basically I want to install the Xen3.2 rpm's on CentOS5.1 x64 after it's
been installed via a kickstart file. The CentOS Xen kernel first needs
to boot (thus a reboot after the installation), then install the new
Xen3.2 rpm's, and reboot again. I'm sure this could then be done with a
simple if statement to check if a certain file exists, say /firstboot;
then execute it, if not just continues?

/etc/rc.local is a file, is there any folders where I can add it to
instead, from where I can the just self-delete it? is it safe to add it
as say /etc/rc3.d/S99firstboot?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers