[CentOS] New firefox causing anyone else problems - CentOS 4.X?

Mon Mar 31 09:07:51 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 17:09 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 4:34 PM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> > Looks like Firefox may be getting another update soon, if my problem is
> >  not atypical. Prior to the latest, had NP for *months*. Anyone else
> >  seeing any problems?
>
> I've had FF running on my CentOS 4 desktop for a little over 2 days
> now, continuously, with no problems.  However, I *don't* have the JRE
> package installed, and I use the centosplus kernel.

I've dropped back to the previous kernel to see if that makes a
difference, based on what I saw in the google results I mentioned in my
second post. IIRC, with the previous kernel *and* prev FF, I'd had some
issues, but never a panic. I'd been looking forward to a new FF,
thinking that would fix things. Symptoms were a "slow freeze" when I had
lots of things running on a Gnome desktop (two sets of mail, FF, gnome
terminal for two users - 1 native via login, the other "su -" invoked,
multiple tabs in FF and terminal, and several OO spreadsheets). Doing a
C&P operation would sometimes result in severe lack of responsiveness
from that point on. Might take a half hour until I could even kill
things and start anew.

Various diags would show no swap use, nothing odd about memory usage,
etc. But repainting the workspaces would take a *long* time.

Maybe all this was a sign of that bug in a larval stage.

--
Bill