[CentOS] Running network services as a non-root user

Sun Mar 16 23:46:43 UTC 2008
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Another approach that may or may not work with Alfresco is to
> configure the application to use high-numbered ports instead of the
> standard ones, then use iptables to redirect connections to the
> standard port numbers to the ones where the application runs.

I don't think thats possible with CIFS/SMB file sharing (which uses a
pile of different protocols and encapsulations over both UDP and TCP
packets, and many messages that contain service locator type information
including port & ip), and its not very easy with FTP (which uses either
passive or port based transfers and also sends port and address data
embedded in PORT messages).