[CentOS] read only root file system

Brett Serkez bserkez at gmail.com
Fri May 2 12:28:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:16 AM, Jason Pyeron <jpyeron at pdinc.us> wrote:
> I am looking at having a read only box, it will not use a swap partition.
>  Any recommendations?

You'll need to break out your hard drive into multiple partitions, as
there are certain portions of the file system that need to be writable
such as /var and /home.  I setup systems in this manner to make them
more difficult to subvert, I'd suggestion searching for topics such as
"linux file system hardening".

When you do need to do maintenance, such as package management, you'll
need to remount the root file system as writable which will likely
require a reboot.

Brett