[CentOS] ext3 filesystems larger than 8TB

Monty Shinn

montys at videopost.com
Fri May 2 19:36:41 UTC 2008

Greetings.

I am trying to create a 10TB (approx) ext3 filesystem.  I am able to
successfully create the partition using parted, but when I try to use
mkfs.ext3, I get an error stating there is an 8TB limit for ext3
filesystems.

I looked at the specs for 5 on the "upstream" vendor's website, and they
  indicate that there is a 16TB limit on ext3.

Has anyone been able to create a ext3 filesystem larger than 8TB?

If ext3 isn't an option, has anyone used the kmod-xfs-smp.i686 module
mentioned on the centos site?  Surely it doesn't have an 8TB limit...

specs:

Centos 5.1
kernel-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5
3Ware 9550SXU 12port raid card