[CentOS] XFS at install time

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Sat May 3 21:03:10 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 03, 2008, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
>> Morten Nilsen wrote on Sat, 03 May 2008 16:02:34 +0200:
>>
>>  > Please consider adding xfs support.. It doesn't please me to run things
>>  > on ext3..
>>
>>  Oh, it doesn't please you ... well, then ... ;-)
>>
>>  It's in the Centosplus kernel. Even I who is not interested in xfs
>>  couldn't avoid to get knowledge of this in bypassing.
>
>You do not need centosplus to get the xfs support. xfs can be used by
>installing the kernel module kmod-xfs and xfsprogs, both of which are
>available from the extras repo.  However, the kernel of the installer
>is not built with the xfs support which is why you cannot install the
>OS into the xfs filesystem.

As much as I like xfs, and used it for years on Caldera and SuSE
systems, I still prefer to have my boot file system(s) on non-RAID,
ext3 file systems as they are close to bullet proof.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation,
that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the
difference between having our arms in our own possession and under our own
direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense
be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted
with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?
    -- Patrick Henry June 9, 1788, in the Virginia Convention on the
    ratification of the Constitution.