[CentOS] Problem mounting failed drive.

Fajar Priyanto fajarpri at cbn.net.id
Mon May 5 00:35:35 UTC 2008

On Sunday 04 May 2008 21:15:53 Andrew @ ATM Logic wrote:
> I wish I had the energy to do that, spent 8 hours on it already.
>
> If someone knows why I cannot mount (a basic IDE, Single NON-Raid) hda2 or
> hdc2 drive in any other version of Linux (or windows... Really not picky
> anymore) or how to export the entire contents of hda2 or hdc2 when mounted
> with "text rescue" to maybe FTP or how to connect to the box with SSH?
> That would be great
>
> Other than that... I spent 8 hrs Googleing, editing Grub, copied /boot from
> a working system to /boot of the failed system, ran fsck on /dev/hda1,
> edited fstab to show hda1 not md1 (no idea why the ... It thinks it's a
> raid...), ran fdisk changed file system to 83 (Linux) from Auto detect
> raid. Good chance I may have screwed up something that may have otherwize
> worked, however... As far as I can see I am no further behind.  I can still
> mount and see my data with "text rescue" and the only thing I moved was
> going from a NON working system with a Grub Error 25, to a system that
> boots with a Kennel panic 22.  As mentioned, I have the system up and
> running now (on a new drive) with the old drive "installed, but not
> mounted".

Hi, if I'm not mistaken, you succeeded in 'mounting' your troubled drive using
a rescue cd, but failed to do it by mounting it on another system?
Well, rescue cd provides some basic networking (ssh and ftp). If you don't
have a dhcp, you can set the ip manually and scp any contents of your
troubled drive to another system in the network. Unless the rescue cd cannot
recognize your network card.

All basic troubleshooting tools are there on the rescue environment (fsck,
ssh, ftp, etc).
http://linux2.arinet.org
07:34:45 up 41 min, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.