[CentOS] ext3 filesystems larger than 8TB

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Mon May 5 14:15:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Monty Shinn <montys at videopost.com> wrote:

>  We basically store video image sequences (edited and source) and
> audio/video files on our servers.  We are an editing and broadcast design
> facility, doing mostly HD work.  The files are relatively large, and there
> are a lot of them.

Having worked for a large film and television post-production facility
in London for just over six years, XFS has been the primary filesystem
for all our servers.  Much of the data was split across multiple disk
servers - each with around 2-3Tb of data.  The whole filesystem was
presented to the workstations over NFS with scripts to manage links to
the different file servers - presenting a unified filesystem to the
artist.  XFS had given us the performance and reliability required and
has gotten us out of some nasty scrapes.

It's a shame that RHEL/CentOS does not include XFS as a choice of
filesystem out of the box without having to compile the XFS module or
use CentOS Extras repository, but perhaps one day it may happen.. ;)

M.
--
Martyn Drake
http://www.drake.org.uk