[CentOS] Slightly OT: Extra icons on desktop - SOLVED

MHR

mhullrich at gmail.com
Tue May 6 19:52:25 UTC 2008

I can't think of a better word for this than "weird."

I went back and reread most of the emails on the original thread, and
both Ross and Bill suggested that something about "misc" might be off.

So, I created a new mount point called "other," pointed fstab at it,
modified my scripts and symlinks that used to reference /misc, and
rebooted.

Voila!

/other was automounted, as I wanted, and there's only one icon on the
desktop for it.

I did notice along the way that /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit had a mount -a
with a -t list of types of FSs to mount, which did not include ext2 or
ext3.  I added those, and that did not help the /misc situation.

Apparently, there is something funny about /misc in FC8 (is that true
in CentOS?).

Anyway, problem solved, thanks to all, enjoy your day, etc., etc.

mhr