[CentOS] I need storage server advice

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Tue May 6 22:52:45 UTC 2008

Take these benchmarks with a grain of salt.

We don't know how these hardware controllers were setup and by the numbers posted, not very well, or they are not very good.

A SATA and a SAS drive will have roughly the same sequential io performance. Where SAS shines is in random io. So if it's archive, buy SATA.

65MB/s is roughly what you will see with a single SAS or SATA drive on reads, around 30MB/s for writes.

Sequential io is measured in MB/s and random io in IOPS or ios per second.

Each spindle in a stripe set will roughly add 50% perf to sequential io and add to the IOPS by the IOPS of the spindle (IOPS+IOPS...). A mirror counts as 1 spindle for reads and 1/2 a spindle for writes (unless RAID is capable of doing parallel reads then it counts as 1 1/2 of reads). A RAID 5 is always one less spindle due to parity and each spindle on writes counts as 1/#spindles (write-back cache helps lessen that hurt).

For 4k sequential ios (larger block sizes will post larger numbers).

1 spindle = 65MB/s and 175 IOPS
2 spindles = 97.5MB/s and 350 IOPS
3 spindles = 146.25MB/s and 525 IOPS
4 spindles = 219.375MB/s and 700 IOPS

(175 IOPS is from 15K SAS with 3.5ms read seek and 2ms avg latency, figure 80 IOPS for good SATA drive)

Now any performance below those numbers is a failure of the RAID system and any performance above those numbers is due to caching and read-ahead.

I hope that helps.

-Ross