[CentOS] Re: FOSS Inventory Managment and Invoicing Application

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Thu May 8 15:35:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

> I am trying to help a small shop migrate off an old DOS sales application and
> was hoping to find a Linux alternative. Anyone have any experience with these
> types of applications, it would likely be a 2-3 user setup.

Not sure what you mean by invoicing application but sql-ledger
http://sql-ledger.org/ and its fork Ledger-SMB http://www.ledgersmb.org/node/8
will do inventory and double entry accounting, including invoicing.

Both are GPL but the documentation and support for sql-ledger is by
subscription only. I have never actually used Ledger-SMB but it was forked from
sql-ledger as a result of a religious war between the Ledger-SMB people the
sql-ledger author [1].

I have used sql-ledger for the past 4 years. It is not perfect and I do pay for
support because I think the documnetation available for it is better then
what was available for Ledger-SMB the last time I looked. I need someone to
ping on when I get into a bind with the program. Fortunately now days I rarely
have problems I cannot resolve myself but I have needed this support in the past
and Dieter was very responsive and helpful.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com

1. I know there are people here who are VERY familiar with the actual situation.
PLEASE do not turn this thread into LedgerSMB is better than sql-ledger flame
fest. Google has the details and if one needs more info the mailing lists for
each program is a better place to ask constructive questions.