[CentOS] Reseted net statistics

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun May 11 12:46:50 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 5:56 AM, happymaster23 <happymaster23 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just before I was experienced this problem I was updating two packages with
> yum (perl-HTML-Parser.i386 3.56-5.el5 and epel-release.noarch 5-3). In
> /var/log/messages is nothing about it. At the same day someone attemped to
> log in to ssh (attack was about 10 hours long, but its impossible to break
> my server - I´m using private key allowed only from my IP and in AllowUsers
> is only root) so I don´t know, how is this possible.

Network stats are based on a 32bit number if I recall. When you have
passed enough traffic, that number will roll over and begin again.

If you want to monitor traffic, phpsysinfo really isn't the way to do
it. Use cacti or mrtg to poll the system periodically and record the
stats. It takes into account network rollover.

George Orwell