[CentOS] Re: Partly OT: Is there a DVD (or other) firmware flash download program for CentOS/Linux?

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Tue May 13 03:21:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 18:27 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 6:21 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 4:49 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  > All I can see with google is sfdnwin.exe for Window$ only....
> >  >

> >  Okay, I found dfutool - does anyone know if that is as generic as it
> >  sounds and can, in fact, update a DVD burner's firmware?
> >

> It depends on the type of DVD burner. Most on the market these days
> the answer is no. Some probably can be but require using the software
> the hardware company uses to do so... in most cases that would require
> a windows software approach.

I haven't doen it for awhile, but last time I did it, a DOS based floppy
(or CD if you prefer) did the job. I believe that "Windows" has become a
generic term, vis-a-vis variorou prom/BIOS updates, really meaning DOS
V7 or such.

NB: This also seem to apply to HD diags/repair. I had a Seagate SATA
drive that developed a couple bad sectors. I downloaded the dos diags
and it successfully repaired the bad sectors. Smartctl tests now report
no bad sectors. It was only two to start with, so the efffort seemed
worthwhile. Been about a week now - results good so far.

> >  Thanks.
> >
> >  mhr
> ><snip sig stuff>

BTW, there is a freedos version available which I've not used. But I do
have DR DOS images available that I've used. WFM.

HTH
--
Bill