[CentOS] Somewhat OT:

Chris Clonch chris at theclonchs.com
Tue May 13 10:52:08 UTC 2008

On Monday 12 May 2008 10:07:20 Sergio Belkin wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for a monitoring system that support snmp v3. I want to
> monitorize linux servers and network switches. Currently, I am trying
> to use zabbix, but sadly, it lack at present features that I need. For
> example, I want to get reporting screens with data and graphs from
> network switches, I'd like to configure one only port of a given
> switch and that is used as templates for the rest of switch ports and
> the rest of the switches.
>

> I'd like to use some open source software that meet that features, and
> I want to avoid Nagios :)
>
> Could you recommend me someone?
>
> Thanks in advance

I'm in the process of evaluating open source monitoring tools as well.

I've found Cacti to be the easiest to configure, especially with SNMP, but
lacks alerting and only covers to performance.

Zenoss looks really really good, but I seem to get hung up on getting it
configured to actually do anything.

I'm in the process of looking at Groundworks, but it is based on Nagios, which
you'd like to avoid.

HypericHQ is another promising one -- haven't tried it yet.

Zabbix and OpenNMS are on the list as well.  I feel like there are a few more,
but I can't recall at the moment.

So far, Zenoss shows the most promise.  I don't know what it is, but I have
the hardest time wrapping my brain around its configuration.  Maybe it is
because it has a unique modeling approach.

Hope these help.
-Chris