[CentOS] "yum update" did not update kernel on one box

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue May 13 19:11:15 UTC 2008

53x73f2288el11aefa215d45923 at mail.gmail.com>

 wrote on Tue, 13 May 2008 12:53:21 -0500:

> LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>
>   LV Size                10.53 GB
>
>   > And the output of pvdisplay.
>
> [root at compaq1300 ~]# pvdisplay
>   --- Physical volume ---
>   PV Name               /dev/hda9
>   VG Name               VolGroup00

Ok, that clarifies that the VG on /dev/hda3 is not in use at all and your
CentOS is indeed installed on the LV on hda9. I still wonder how this mess
was created. Did you have an earlier Linux installation on it and forgot
to wipe that completely before you installed CentOS?
I think the easiest way to get you back on track is to edit your fstab.
There is a line about /boot in it that points to /dev/hda3. Change that to
/dev/hda8. This is all.
But before you do that, please check that there is indeed a grub.conf on
it that contains the "old" information. You know the path I gave you was
slightly wrong. Once you have confirmed that you can make the change to
fstab (/etc/fstab). Be really careful when you do that as the wrong
changes can make your system unbootable.
Once the change is done the *next* kernel that gets installed will go to
the correct boot partition and the correct grub.conf will be updated with
the correct information to boot with the new kernel.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany