[CentOS] Directory Compare

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 15 19:38:45 UTC 2008

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I need to verify some directories of backed up data versus restored data. What would you recommend as the type of comparison to do, and which tool would give the easiest/most usable output?

Diff works if they are on the same machine.  On different machines you can:
rsync -avn -essh local-dir user at remote_host:/path/above_dir

The -a option says to recurse and take all possible attributes, -v says
show the file names, and -n says don't actually do it (be careful not to
omit that..).  This will give you a list of filenames that have some
difference between local_dir and the remote copy.  If you add a --delete
it will also show anything that exists in the remote but not the local
side (and be especially careful not to omit the -n in this case).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com