[CentOS] shell script strangeness...

Ian Blackwell ian at ikel.id.au
Fri May 16 04:37:10 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On my CentOS 4.6 server, this works...
>
> if [ -z `grep entry_chooser.js /var/log/httpd/access_log` ]
>
> On my CentOS 5.1 server, this gives me the following error...
>
> ./test_file.scr: line 3: [: too many arguments
>
> Can anyone explain why the difference and suggest something that makes
> both cases happy?
>
> Thanks
>
> Craig

Not sure why 4.6 is allowing it, but your if test will be resolving to
something like this:-
if [ -z this line from your log file and another line and even more
lines until your if test fails with too many arguments I hope you don't
want me to keep typing to make the point ]

To fix it, wrap the grep instead double quotes as well as the ticks - e.g.
if [ -z "`grep entry_chooser.js /var/log/httpd/access_log`" ]
Then the output from the grep will be seen as one long string, not a
multitude of words from your log file.

Ian