[CentOS] Re: OOM condition with file-4.17-9.0.1.el5

John jknappers-argentia at hotmail.com
Fri May 16 14:27:07 UTC 2008

"Phil Schaffner" <Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov> schreef
in bericht news:1210943875.4897.74.camel at wx1.larc.nasa.gov...
> On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 14:30 +0200, John wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> We just encountered several serious Out of Memory Problems caused by the
>> file 4.17-9.0.1.EL5 utility on our mail Gateway. CentOS 5.1 kept it self
>> alive by killing it parent process Amavisd-new. Manually restarting
>> Amavisd-new and flushing the mail queue caused same problem. Disabling
>> file
>> for the moment, caused Amavisd-new to fail, and also defer all mail.
>>
>> My quick and dirty solution was the download the Fedora Core 9's
>> file.4.23-5.src.rpm. and rebuild it on CentOS 5 After upgrading file,
>> restarting Amavisd-new and flushing the Postfix queue, all mail was
>> delivered without problems.
>>
>> Because our mail system went down, it didn't have the time to trace the
>> message causing the problem.
>>
>> But I want to share here that the Redhat / CentOS EL5 file utility has
>> problems and provide a quick workaround for the problem.
>
> Can't find a bug report on this for either CentOS-5 or upstream.
>
> Phil

Phil,

Some is always the first one running into a bug problem.

I know, my mail is not very helpful helping indentifying the problem, but
fact is
that some mail triggered a problem in the file utility causing a out of
memory problem
rebuilding a new file utility with fc 9 srpms fixed my problem quickly.
Our users already started to complain that the didn't receive any new email,
some relations had already phoned, why we didn't reply on their mail. At
that point quick action is necessary.

The purpose of my mail is sharing that I ran into a file util problem. If I
ran into, eventually some one else will to. And also how to quick and dirty
fix  the problem, if you can't wait for an official fix, provided by
upstream provider

.