[CentOS] Centos Freezing

John jses27 at gmail.com
Sat May 17 10:02:05 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Robert Spangler
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 9:19 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Centos Freezing

On Thursday 15 May 2008 21:51, Karanbir Singh wrote:

>  Hi Robert,
>
>  Robert Spangler wrote:
>  > For some reason at different times Centos will freeze and not allow
> me  > to do anything.  This doesn't happen while I'm working on the
> system but  > after I have locked my session and then return.  It
> could goes days  > without a lockup and then the next time I try to log in
it'll be frozen.
>  >
>  > I would like to know if anyone else has seen this or knows of a fix
> or  > where I could start to look to find out if there is a process or
> > something causing this.
>
>  Not me, have not had such an issue. make sure you are completely
> yum-updated for a start.

Always.  Done nightly. :)

>  > I normally have the same programs running so I don't think it could
> be  > caused by me starting and then leaving something new running.
>
>  I guess the reason why no one has replied to your post so far is that
> its hard to work out or even think about such issues without some more
context.
> Do you have proprietary drivers installed for anything ? ndiswrapper
> for wifi  ? grfx drivers for nvidia or ati ? Could there be a network
issue ?

Only thing I'm running that isn't in the repo's is the nVidia driver for my
Geforce FX550.

Oh, Thnx for the reply!!

Regards
Robert

Please try to update your nVidia Driver to the current level version and see
if that solves your problem. Make sure you are using the X config file that
is generated by the driver and do not add anything to it (as in options).
Some options if your mother board can not handle or support it, it will
freeze lockup etc.

Let me Know how it goes..

John Stanley