[CentOS] Need help with rsync.

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue May 20 15:15:09 UTC 2008

I have two hosts which have their respective keys loaded into each others
.ssh/authorized-keys2 file for root.  I want to move a directory tree from one
host to the other via rsync to maintain a shadow structure of the application
provided on the main host.

This is the relevant part of the command:

rsync -avz --rsh=ssh --delete-after /var/data/pas-redmine
root at inet01.mississauga.harte-lyne.ca:/var/data

The connection is made and a good deal of material is successfully
transferred. I am however getting a number of permission errors:

rsync: readlink "/var/data/pas-redmine/lib/tabular_form_builder.rb" failed:
Permission denied (13)
rsync: readlink "/var/data/pas-redmine/lib/redmine.rb" failed: Permission
denied (13)
rsync: readlink "/var/data/pas-redmine/lib/diff.rb" failed: Permission denied
(13)

and many more:

The permissions and owner for these are:
-rw-r--r-- 1 pas pas 2341 May  9 13:57 \
   /var/data/pas-redmine/lib/tabular_form_builder.rb
-rw-r--r-- 1 pas pas 7934 May  9 13:57 \
   /var/data/pas-redmine/lib/redmine.rb
-rw-r--r-- 1 pas pas 5602 May  9 13:57 \
   /var/data/pas-redmine/lib/diff.rb

The host application directory structure is a checked out svn repository, but
some of the files that are giving errors are created locally such as the
database dump file.  I am at a loss to explain this since the rsync and ssh
user, so far as I can tell, is root and this, so far as I understand, should
allow unrestricted access to the files regardless of the ownership or
permissions.

If someone can clue me in as to what I am misapprehending here I would be much
appreciative.

Canada  L8E 3C3