[CentOS] I need some NFS explanations, please.

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue May 20 17:22:43 UTC 2008

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> wrote:
>
>> I next go to one of the clients and "cat" the file, and then do another "ls
>> -al". Now the server and this client agree on the file attributes, but not
>> on the second client which shows the original wrong result still. So now I
>> think it's a client caching problem.
>>
>> Can anyone explain the above situation and perhaps some settings that will
>> resolve this without requiring the nfs client to open the file in some way
>> before it gets the proper file attributes?
>>

> Try explicitly adding "noac" (no attribute caching) to the mount
> definition in /etc/fstab.  If you're doing this as an autofs mount, it
> goes in /etc/auto.* somewhere, with a slightly different syntax.

Bart,

Thanks for the suggestion, but still no go. New client says the following:

Flags:
rw,sync,vers=3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,acregmin=0,acregmax=0,acdirmin=0,acdirmax=0,
hard,intr,noac,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,addr=10.0.12.152

We do have a client mounted on a different server using version 4. It
seems to keep up with the attributes, but we haven't tested it much yet.

Does anyone have opinions on version 4 and what should I be aware of?

Off to googleland.

Steve